Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Quite OT: Johnny Winter hit by a bottle on stage
Posted by: Amused ()
Date: May 14, 2009 14:49

...almost.

he almost got hit by a bottle and stopped playing, finished his show. maybe a little overreacted, but I fully understand him. one @#$%& ruined the evening for thousands of people...

one of the comments:

Wow, that S.O.B. who lobbed that bottle at Johnny was lucky that wasn't Keith Richards onstage. Keith would've shot him!
Roskilde should be ashamed of themselves.

what would you do? has anything like that ever happened to you?

a good thing to do would be taking the drummer, getting the guy out of the crowd, punching him in the face and continuing the show ;-)

Re: Quite OT: Johnny Winter hit by a bottle on stage
Posted by: mofur ()
Date: May 14, 2009 15:20

I was in the audience and this was the incident directly responsible for upping the distance between audience and stage in Roskilde, in the event I think some sort of fence was built. I cannot remember the excact goings on after this - so somebody correct me? - but to my memory Lou Reed was to play later and simply demanded the fence or something else that would protect him from the audience.

I remember there was a big heated debate over this - as Roskilde has always been very alternative and all about "peace, love, and understanding" - but up the fence went - only for the duration of that festival the promoters said - but lo and behold - something similar has been there ever since and added security to boot. And I don't blame the musicians - in this case Winter (and maybe Reed?) - I blame the stupid people in the audience. There will always be that one idiot........angry smiley

....and when people blame the distance between the groups and their audience, I don't always think the artists are solely to blame. Some people do not respect the privacy of artists - even going as far as to think the groups OWE them something other than their music. But incidents like this - and in a far more serious vein the shooting of Lennon - have necessitated the need for famous people to protect themselves against the public - very sad indeed. But there is always that one nutter!

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: May 14, 2009 15:40

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 14, 2009 15:47

I got hit in the head by a crushed beer can. The newspaper reported it as a bottle!

The worst that's happened for me on stage has been drunks not wanting to leave and then getting into it with them and their retarded friends who insist that their friend, who can hardly stand up or whatever, is GOOD, man! There's nothing like stopping playing and having a screaming 'conversation' with an a$$hole while the band plays on. And the last time that happened to me I got kicked out of the venue as well, for 20 minutes. While I was gone? A friend of the idiots attempted to pour beer or water all over my amp and pedals. I didn't see it but he had a horrible aim because he didn't get anything wet.

A$$HOLES. You got the Freebird twats and then the mic hog twats. Kunts, every single one of 'em.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: May 14, 2009 15:49

I think he overreacted, he could have joked about it and complained that the bottle was empty or something. Robert Plant said in an interview that he was constantly nervous at stage with Led Zeppelin because of the things that came flying onto the stage, the firecrackers etc, especially in the states. But they never stopped a show for that reason.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-14 15:51 by Svartmer.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 14, 2009 16:19

Musta been awhile back?? He sits down for every show now doesnt he?

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 14, 2009 16:29

I was there. It was in 1984, June 29, concert started at 20,30 [www.roskilde-festival.dk]
It was after this incident they fenced the canopy/Orange stage,
and only could pass to it with plastic beer mugs.
I think has huge influences, since I have rarely seen a greated concert
arrangement since where you could walk close to the stage with
bottles or glasses.
I dont think you could blame the festival for it.

If ya ask me most aspects went downhill since booze overtook the ganga's role
as the festival fuel.

Date: May 14, 2009 17:00

Baboon Bro
I was there. It was in 1984, June 29, concert started at 20,30 [www.roskilde-festival.dk]
It was after this incident they fenced the canopy/Orange stage,
and only could pass to it with plastic beer mugs.

You and me both, then - like I wrote earlier - was it not Lou Reed who demanded the fence or he would not take the stage? I do believe he played at Roskilde that year - not a very good concert - with Robert Quine, but he came back to Copenhagen in December '84 and gave a fantastic concert - still with Quine.

Posted by: izzyanderson ()
Date: May 14, 2009 17:06

It's worse when it happens indoors. You can't see the audience. All it takes is that one object thrown at you and it throws your entire game off.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 14, 2009 17:08

Nice one Angus kick that skinhead ass! thumbs up

Posted by: Baboon Bro ()
Date: May 14, 2009 17:12

Yeah, remember Lou, that was the day after (I checked;
how the hell would one know smiling smiley )
Well, ya could say one event or incident lead to another, I reckon.

I aint no big fan of Lou; yet that in consideration his set can be said to be a success.

Date: May 14, 2009 17:25

Baboon Bro
Yeah, remember Lou, that was the day after (I checked;
how the hell would one know smiling smiley )

Thanks - yeah - Roskilde Festival is like the sixties in a way - if you can remember them - you weren't there *lol* Though, I must say for me personally, missing Billy Bragg one year because of over indulgence kind of sealed it for me and I changed my ways......smileys with beer

Posted by: R ()
Date: May 14, 2009 17:46

I saw Mick Jagger get hit with a full cup of beer at the Pontiac Silverdome in 1989. He'd seen who had done it as the floor seats were very secure that night with no crowding or anything. Mick motioned to a roadie just offstage and whispered in his ear during the solo. Shortly thereafter the roadie returned with a full bucket of water and handed it to Mick who rushed over to the edge of the stage and emptied the bucket on the offending party who was not amused at the turnabout.

Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 14, 2009 17:54

Which show was that? I was at the 'first one', which was actually the second show.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 14, 2009 18:53

I was surprised that one could buy beer at bottles and whiskies in glasses at the Stones Glasgow 2003 shows. As degenerated as we are nowaydays I immediately thought that if Ronnie is as a freerider and acts like coward once again I'm gonna hit him with a bottle... okay, joking, but still: it felt strange to 'allow' to stand and watch Keith Richards from three meter's distance with a bottle of beer in hand. But it was nice smileys with beer

- Doxa

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 14, 2009 19:11

dcba

Not quite!

I think he made the right choice staying onstage.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: May 15, 2009 00:00

Amused
...almost.

he almost got hit by a bottle and stopped playing, finished his show. maybe a little overreacted, but I fully understand him.

No, that wasn't overraction. THAT was an overreaction:

However, I totally agree with Axl on this one:

Some people on the audience are real idiots if they throw stuff on stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-15 00:05 by franzk.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: May 15, 2009 09:12

dcba

Indeed, but it's only a small smack on the nose. If it as Keith he would have strung him up by his guitar strings.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: May 15, 2009 09:33

I think Mr Rose handled it very well in Argentina in 1992!

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 15, 2009 12:29

Maybe "Mr" Rose learnt the lesson from the 1991 St.louis disaster posted by Franzk
Even psychos sometimes face the hard wall of reality...

Posted by: guitarbastard ()
Date: May 15, 2009 12:40

Papo

yeah a 5 minute speech? pathetic. either leave like winter did or continue like a man. @#$%& pussy!

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: May 15, 2009 12:49

Iggy is pretty good on how to handle objects flying at the stage. Perhaps we could learn from him. drinking smiley

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: May 15, 2009 13:24

guitarbastard
Papo

yeah a 5 minute speech? pathetic. either leave like winter did or continue like a man. @#$%& pussy!

Unless someone is pointing a gun at you one should never walk away,very egoistic and
amateurish:spoils it for the rest of the people that paid for the music!

Date: May 15, 2009 13:54

I was there too in Roskilde. Winter was the main reason for going, so we were quite angry. At the idiot-thrower.

A full plastic-glass of beer also hit the b-stage at the Stones' opening of the European-Licks tour at the Olympia Halle in Munich. Nobody was hit, and Jagger always seems to ignore this stuff with sheer elegance...but what would have happened if...?

PS : Yeah, Lou Reed was much better in Copenhagen, December 1984smiling smiley

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 15, 2009 14:04

franzk

No, that wasn't overraction. THAT was an overreaction:

However, I totally agree with Axl on this one:

Some people on the audience are real idiots if they throw stuff on stage.

What a dive !!!eye popping smiley
What's the object Axl gets in his hand ? A cut part of a bottle ?

March 29 th ,1966 - Mick Jagger was injured during a gig in Marseilles after a fan threw a chair at the stage, he required eight stitches in the cuts.

Date: May 22, 2009 01:23

I'm against violence,but a few rotten tomatoes would be on the right place here..
The guys voice is terrible.

Date: May 22, 2009 01:41

(I'm talking about G&R and ACDC) -in case of the previous post.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: May 22, 2009 01:43

another reason to drink whisky

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: May 22, 2009 02:27

nice dive axl! olympic stuff. should hang and smoke with mark phelps...

that was steven adler throwing a bottle at matt sorum probably...can kinda see his pernt.

Posted by: andy js ()
Date: May 22, 2009 02:29

whats with that gay guitar Winter's playing ? @#$%& awful looking piece of shit

i've seen Axl walk off before now, Nottingham '87. big twat. he only got hit by an empty plastic beer glass and threw a right hissy fit

saw Chris Robinson walk off to, and Lemmy threaten to kick someones head in

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1329
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home