Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

uhm... er... uh...
Posted by: hbwriter ()
Date: May 6, 2009 09:06

Re: uhm... er... uh...
Posted by: scaffer ()
Date: May 6, 2009 09:58

'TV Espagnole'? No doubt. They're singing in French.

Posted by: SwayStones ()
Date: May 6, 2009 10:11

Oh my god !!!!!
I am really ashamed to inform you of this,but the singer is for sure French !
I can't really see his face on the video,but I recongnize his voice ;he is one of the most famous singer in our country,his name is Johnny Halliday .

The same,a bit better :

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 6, 2009 11:26

La France compte deux fossoyeurs de la grande music rock anglo-saxonne : le crétin Johnny et l'abominable Eddy Mitchell.
Encore bravo les gars pour ces adaptations foireuses, ces arangements de bal populaire, et ces paroles débiles thumbs down
Et merci à hbwriter pour ce rappel douloureux winking smiley

Date: May 6, 2009 12:13

dcba
La France compte deux fossoyeurs de la grande music rock anglo-saxonne : le crétin Johnny et l'abominable Eddy Mitchell.
Encore bravo les gars pour ces adaptations foireuses, ces arangements de bal populaire, et ces paroles débiles thumbs down
Et merci à hbwriter pour ce rappel douloureux winking smiley

Translate,please,translate .winking smiley
Are the French less capable than European-Americans or Britons of doing rockn'roll ?
The answer is YES.
This is why representations of “rock and roll” in France appear most of the time (I said most of the time )to be successful only to the degree that they are burlesque.

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: May 6, 2009 12:18

At least didn´t post this thread, I am telling because the "Spanish board or tourist thing guy....

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: May 6, 2009 12:49

Bloomin french tourist......

Posted by: CharliesSinger ()
Date: May 6, 2009 12:52

Im sure ive seen that guy before........

Posted by: llargueras ()
Date: May 6, 2009 13:38

Yes it's Johnny Halliday and the guys dancing "BALLET ZOOM". The Spanish guys should remember Valerio Lazarov tv producer in the 70's

Date: May 6, 2009 15:37

Siiii, Llargueras, its Johnny Hallyday, I posted some videos from him a long time ago, he is singing with our great Loquillo duo cruzando el paraiso, enjoy
Viva La France and España and rock and roll!!!!

Carlitos
Tenerife

Date: May 6, 2009 15:39

Ballet zoom remember, Tocata, aplauso, 300 millones, etc noo?
Carlitos

Date: May 6, 2009 15:48

and after that Las chicas chin chin, jajajajaaj

Date: May 6, 2009 15:55

But I stay wih this...
Soy asi!!

Date: May 6, 2009 16:12

Ok I'll translate. Johnny Halliday epitomizes a French "musical" trend which consists of taking US/Brit rock standards and BUTCHERING them : poorly skilled musicians, utterly silly French lyrics, brain-dead results... BUT a number #1 hit almost every time .
Fortunately the trend died in the early 80's...

Date: May 6, 2009 19:52

dcba
Ok I'll translate. Johnny Halliday epitomizes a French "musical" trend which consists of taking US/Brit rock standards and BUTCHERING them : poorly skilled musicians, utterly silly French lyrics, brain-dead results... BUT a number #1 hit almost every time .
Fortunately the trend died in the early 80's...

I do agree with you , dcba ,but don't forget JH was a kind of "icône " for the last 40 years.
So you can't tell his work as a "french singer " was silly.
I am sorry,but if most of French people are still after JH,it means that he must have some talents ( his voice ???)

I am not really fond of r&roll french music as you must know,read my latest post.

Here is the thread where we can talk about "foreign R & Roll "winking smiley

Posted by: NickB ()
Date: May 6, 2009 21:14

Oui je suis un rock star. Sometimes British rockers get French rock wrong!

NickB

You can't always get what you want.....

www.myspace.com/thesonkings

Date: May 6, 2009 23:23

Sway don't forget Johnny never ever wrote a single song...

Posted by: boogie69 ()
Date: May 7, 2009 01:01

I like the guitar solo in Honky Tonk Women.

Date: May 7, 2009 10:21

NickB
Oui je suis un rock star. Sometimes British rockers get French rock wrong!

dcba
Sway don't forget Johnny never ever wrote a single song...
Oupss....As you can see ,JH isn't really my cup of tea winking smiley
I noticed I even could spell corectly his name.

The problems with the lyrics is that they don't fit in French with rock music ;it doesn't sound good,that's all .Of course I am only talking about rock and roll because we had great singers and poets.

Am I wrong (and this is a question for english or american people ) if I say that the lyrics in English have double meanings involving eroticism. “Rock” is a word very close in meaning to another word that refers without ambiguity to what is meant by “Good rocking tonight”. ( “we are going to sleep well together tonight”.)

The phonic similarity of “to rock” (“bercer” – “to rock”), with another, quite precise French word gives a very accurate notion of the real meaning. To exactly translate “rock and roll” in French I really don't know what we would have to say if only that had any meaning.

I can't imagine a French singer (or we had once one called Polnareff ) who will sing lyrics from Beast Of Burden as Mick on stage "All I want is you to make love to me ,Am I hard enough? "eye popping smiley

I am a Frenchie ,as Mick affectionately called them in the Old Grey Whistle Test in 1977 .

Posted by: alanUSA ()
Date: May 29, 2009 16:58

If it is true that Mr. Hallyday built his career on bad covers of American and British rock in the sixties. That said, he has also written over 100 songs including one of his biggest hits, a superb bluesy number entitled "La musique que j'aime" that features Peter Frampton on guitar. He has recorded with the likes of Jimmy Page, Steve Marriott, Ronnie Lane, Mick Jones (the Foreigner one) and Jimi Hendrix on an alternate version of his French adaptation of Hey Joe. He has also recorded duets with Carl Perkins, Little Richard, Don Everly, the Stray Cats and Emmylou Harris, not to mention Sammy Davis Jr and Lionel Ritchie. Sorry guys but one does not build a resume like this by just being a fraud. You should check out his superb version of Blue Suede shoes featuring Chris Spedding and Robin Lemesurier on the Sun Records tribute CD.

Date: May 29, 2009 23:13

Sorry to kick a dead body/thread but JH never ever wrote a single song. He hired people to be creative for him.
Talking about not being able to come up with new ideas tonite he's playing in Paris and in the middle of the show he'll play 3 or 4 songs on a small stage in the middle of the SDF stadium.
(wonder where he got the idea?) smiling smiley

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home