Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

UMGs Star Star, Luxury, Slave Vs. Virgins Star Star, Luxury, Slave
Posted by: skipstone ()
Date: May 4, 2009 00:15

Since I lost my Virgin GHS I found the CBS GHS and have it on my media player. I have the Virgins for the others.

CBS/Sony Star Star (uncensored - how this is I don't understand): 4:24
Virgin Luxury: 5:01
Virgin Slave: 6:32

Re: UMGs Star Star, Luxury, Slave Vs. Virgins Star Star, Luxury, Slave
Date: May 4, 2009 01:37

Courtesy of reiziger99:

Star Star ‘86 (4:25)
Star Star ‘94 (4:25)
Star Star ‘09 (4:23)

Luxury ‘86 (4:31)
Luxury ‘94 (5:01)
Luxury ‘09 (5:01)

Slave ‘86 (4:58)
Slave ‘94 (6:32)
Slave ’09 (due next month)

Date: May 5, 2009 00:10

Curious to see if there are any differences in other countries. Please keep this one bumped up so we can all know.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: May 5, 2009 15:46

It's a 2 second time difference on Star Star so what was censored in 2 seconds??

Date: May 5, 2009 15:47

Or is it just bleeped out?

Date: May 5, 2009 16:15

I don't think that this is a censored version,perhaps a different mix or take. Maybe it is censored depending on which country you're in or maybe they all are censored. We'll see. It could be the censored version from the '70's vinyl album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-05-05 16:23 by Winning Ugly VXII.

Posted by: farawayeyes2 ()
Date: May 5, 2009 18:49

i really could not understand what happened exactly to star star in new reisses

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 5, 2009 20:08

The "bet you keep your pussy clean" line is replaced by a bad vocal overdub that sounds like "now that really is a scene." This was mandated by Atlantic Records at the time and appears on the old vinyl and cassette versions of GHS from the seventies. The first time Americans had a chance to hear the original line as Europeans heard it was when CBS brought the title out on CD (as well as vinyl and cassette) in 1987. That's the only difference. The 2 second difference is probably just dead air removed from the end of the song or possibly a barely noticeable early fade out.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 5, 2009 21:15

I downloaded this from this very website a couple (or so) years ago, is this the version of Star Star included on the current reissue?:
08 Star Star _US vinyl_.mp3 - 4.00MB
You can listen to it without downloading.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 5, 2009 22:00

I think that's it. That actually sounds clearer than my old vinyl did (or at least my cheap turntable). It sounds like the overdub is just repeating the "that's what I call obscene" line on top of the offending lyric.

Posted by: stone-relics ()
Date: May 5, 2009 22:22

German and UK Lps for unedited Star Star--possibly other countries).

US (possibly other countries, but only have the US ones, except Some Girls) for longer Slave and Luxury. Been around ever since released, but only on the 8 tracks.

JR

Posted by: Stonewalled ()
Date: May 6, 2009 08:20

Deltics
I downloaded this from this very website a couple (or so) years ago, is this the version of Star Star included on the current reissue?:
Yes it is!Actually the word "pussy" is still quite audible to my ears on both the audio clip you've presented and the 2009 UMG remaster

Date: May 6, 2009 14:56

Wait a minute...............why would they need to be censored in this day and age when so much worse stuff is spouted out on any damn rap album?!?!? I don't get this move. Anyone care to enlighten me please?

Date: May 6, 2009 16:36

Because they wanted to, wait, "By making these iconic albums available again - and retaining the essence of the original track listings and sleeve design - we believe that music fans will rediscover just why they are the world's greatest rock & roll band."

RETAINING. I think that's the key word. So if the censored Star Star is indeed what people are hearing then I guess UMG 'retained' the essence of these iconic albums by "making them available again" - hell, anyone could take them off the shelves for 6 months or whatever and then reissue them and say 'HEY, WE'VE MADE THEM AVAILABLE AGAIN.' Woo hoo. Is anything actually different? From the sound of it, ha ha, yes - they sound WORSE.

Nothing has changed, right? Still just like the Virgin packaging - which was way better than the CBS packaging (except with Steel Wheels for some reason).

Posted by: silkcut1978_ ()
Date: May 6, 2009 20:10

Stonewalled
Deltics
Yes it is!Actually the word "pussy" is still quite audible to my ears on both the audio clip you've presented and the 2009 UMG remaster

If I'm right I was the one who uploaded the LP-version a while ago and YES - it IS the same like the one on CD now. "Pussy" was audible on the 1973 release and it still is audible as it's the very same version. A funny kind of censorship.

Posted by: CharliesSinger ()
Date: May 6, 2009 22:01

I dont really understand what remastering, mastering, or mixdown means. I thought that remastering was creating a new master copy?

If so, then how can the censored version of Star Star be included on this "remaster"? They cant have gone back to the original tapes surely? Thats what i thought had happened on the Virgins - with the longer Slave & Luxury.

But like i say - i dont understand the terminology. Have they just gone back to the CBS master, cranked up the volume and bunged them on CD? I just cant believe someone would choose to include the censored version - sounds more like a hatchet job to me. Someone not paying attention.

What is actually involved in the remastering process?

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: May 6, 2009 22:21

silkcut1978_
Stonewalled
Deltics

If I'm right I was the one who uploaded the LP-version a while ago and YES - it IS the same like the one on CD now. "Pussy" was audible on the 1973 release and it still is audible as it's the very same version. A funny kind of censorship.

I suspect you're right, I think it was probably was you.
For which, many thanks.
A funny kind of censorship indeed, maybe they were more concerned about the reference to John Wayne?

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: sjs12 ()
Date: May 6, 2009 22:40

Wow!!!! I have never heard that version. It certainly wasn't on my vinyl.

It really seems quite strange to me to hear that now.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: May 7, 2009 00:10

CharliesSinger
I dont really understand what remastering, mastering, or mixdown means. I thought that remastering was creating a new master copy?

If so, then how can the censored version of Star Star be included on this "remaster"? They cant have gone back to the original tapes surely? Thats what i thought had happened on the Virgins - with the longer Slave & Luxury.

But like i say - i dont understand the terminology. Have they just gone back to the CBS master, cranked up the volume and bunged them on CD? I just cant believe someone would choose to include the censored version - sounds more like a hatchet job to me. Someone not paying attention.

What is actually involved in the remastering process?

mastering is the stage of recording that follows mixing. What is originally a multitrack session tape, where the parts are first laid down in the studio, is mixed down--"down" from 8, 16, 24, 48, etc. channels onto 1, 2, whatever the ultimate listening format will be--to a final mix. On this tape, the individual instruments and effects that originally were on separate channels are now mixed together across a stereo (or mono, or home theater) spectrum. They can't be individually adjusted anymore. From this mixdown tape, a master is created, from which the consumer copies will be made. (There might be duplicates made for the production process, and different formats have different intermediate stages.) In making this master, changes can be made to the tape; in fact, for best results, they should be made--but they are subtler than what happens at the mixing stage. Because you can't adjust instruments, you adjust frequency bands--this is EQ--or apply compression in places to the whole mix to even out the dynamics, or to emphasize them. There may be an effect of turning up certain instruments, but only if they sit in certain frequency ranges--like the bass on the low end, and the overhead cymbals on the high end. These changes should be optimized for the ultimate format. So many early CDs were poorly mastered, due to limitations in the technology (primarily the analog-to-digital conversion rates), the limited expertise of the technicians working in a new format, and the haste these editions were made under to get the product sold. "Remastering" is a general concept: anytime a new edition is prepared, the album is remastered. It doesn't necessarily mean an improvement. But it's come to mean improving CD masters in line with current CD capabilities. Unfortunately, it's also come to mean making adjustments for iPod ears--boosting volume through massive compression and little else.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1326
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home