Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: Brian Jones' finest hour
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 29, 2009 00:09

Mathijs

No, there's a couple of pics of Keith and Jack Nitzsche, Keith in a white blouse with a Gibson Country and Western, shot by Mankowitz, with undersript of Wyman saying that these were shot during overdubs for Satisfaction. There's some remarks in Wyman's Rolling with the Stones as well.

Mathijs

Can you post these pics?

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 29, 2009 00:15

tomk
Mathijs
His Majesty
Mathijs

There's pictures of the recording session, with Keith overdubbing the acoustic.

Mathijs

Are you meaning the Gered Mankowitz pics where Keith has shades on and is playing a hummingbird? I think you've said those are from satisfaction session before, but they're from later.

Any direct quotes where any of the band say Brian didn't play acoustic?

quote]

No, there's a couple of pics of Keith and Jack Nitzsche, Keith in a white blouse with a Gibson Country and Western, shot by Mankowitz, with undersript of Wyman saying that these were shot during overdubs for Satisfaction. There's some remarks in Wyman's Rolling with the Stones as well.

Mathijs

I don't recall what photos you mean, but I don't find any evidence in Wyman's book of him not playing. Wyman does mention a band vote on it being the next single after listening to the master and him saying Brian was present.
However, this listening party could have been done soon after.
So I guess the verdict is we really don't know.
We don't have any positive proof that he wasn't there, unless someone has a quote
taht I haven't read.
It does sound to my ears like a part he would play.
Also, too, FWIW, the acoutsic and piano on the mono mix are hardly audible,
but they do beef up the sound, if you know what I mean.

The acoustic is quite clear, but the piano is a struggle to hear!

I will look up the pics, can't post but I will send them to His Majesty.

Mathijs

Date: April 29, 2009 00:19

Mathijs

I will look up the pics, can't post but I will send them to His Majesty.

Mathijs

Or just point out which book they are in, I might have them already without realising it. smiling smiley

Posted by: Bjorn ()
Date: April 29, 2009 00:41

Someone here wrote about the blues and rock´n roll...that there´s a big difference...Reed/Stones...I don´t think so. Parachute woman...Black Limousine...blues, yeah...but really...isn´t there a thin line? (and now I´m beeing very humble)

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: April 29, 2009 00:48

You can't even hear the piano on the mono mix of satisfaction, but on the London stereo release from the mid 80's, the acoustic and piano are clear on the right track.

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: April 29, 2009 01:02

Doxa
I think "I Wanna Be your Man" is a great example of how a rock band sound like: a stupid pop song played with no hostages taken "roots" attitude - the much talked Jones guitar solo has no equivalants in recorded history prior that: it is not the goddamn slide - it is what is done with it! It bloody screams!
- Doxa
The guitar sounds of I Wanna Be Your Man, She Said Yeah and Yesterday's Papers plus the Got Live If You Want It combination (lp version) of Have You Seen to Satisfaction are the craziest pieces of guitar music I ever heard. Is that always Brian?

Posted by: neptune ()
Date: April 29, 2009 03:40

Mathijs
Jones actually does not play at all on Satisfaction. All guitars are Keith. There's a version with overdubbed harmonica by Jones though.

Doesn't sound like Keith on acoustic. It's too soft and subtle to be Keith.

Posted by: cc ()
Date: April 29, 2009 07:47

neptune
Mathijs
Jones actually does not play at all on Satisfaction. All guitars are Keith. There's a version with overdubbed harmonica by Jones though.

Doesn't sound like Keith on acoustic. It's too soft and subtle to be Keith.

Doesn't sound soft and subtle to me. Could easily be keith.

Posted by: tonterapi ()
Date: May 2, 2009 00:59

Brian has done more for the Stones sound in the 60's than the Stones themselves ever will give him credit for. It's hard to choose...

* No Expectations (at R&R Circus)
This version brings tears to my eyes. He is so alone within the band. The others barely look at him. He was crying backstage (according to Pete Townshend) and yet he puts tons of magic into his playing here. He is so there. This is the only thing the bastards kept of Brian in the official release. I guess they couldn't mute his performance on this one as they did on the rest of the tracks.

* Paint it Black
The sitar is far back in the mix but it's still what make this track special. It's too bad that Brian didn't play sitar on more tracks with the Stones (only Tanpura on Street Fighting Man).

* 2000 Lightyears From Home
This is by far the best mellotron playing I've ever heard. True magic. Nobody has played the instrument like this and the song would loose it's atmosphere without it. Brian's mellotron playing "We Love You" and "Stray Cat Blues" are also great examples of that.

* Gomper
Brian's use of the dulcimer on Lady Jane is pure beauty. Simple but effective, Still I found the exotic ad-libs he plays on Gomper far more interesting and creative.

* Ruby Tuesday
Love Brian's recorder here. It's beautifully played and fits so well in the mood of the song. Brian also played recorder on his soundtrack for A Degree of Murder and it's equally beautiful.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 2, 2009 04:42

Aside from Everybody Needs Somebody To Love,
does anyone know what other songs Brian sang backup vocals on?

I'm not suggesting this is his "finest hour"...just curious.

Posted by: rootsman ()
Date: May 2, 2009 10:04

He sang on Come On, I Wanna Be Your Man, Bye Bye Johnny and Walking The Dog to name a few of the most obvious

Posted by: MissNBrian ()
Date: May 2, 2009 17:36

rootsman
He sang on Come On, I Wanna Be Your Man, Bye Bye Johnny and Walking The Dog to name a few of the most obvious

he might have also sang back up on "I Just Wanna Make Love to You". At least there's a clip on you tube showing him doing so, but can't remember if it's from T.A.M.I. show or Dean Martin. Also showing him singing backup on "I'm Alright"

I seem to remember reading somewhere where they said both him & Bill sang backup in the early days more than Keith did, but don't know exactly just how true that was.

Posted by: mamabear ()
Date: May 2, 2009 19:22

Brian was outstanding on 2120 South Michigan Avenue. I have the unreleased
version from the "More Stoned then.....) which is about 3 minutes long and
it is wonderful!!

Posted by: MILO NYC ()
Date: May 2, 2009 19:48

In my opinion Brian had many excellent contributions that added that something that made certain songs become more than they were. Under My Thumb, Dandelion, No Expectations, his minimal work on You Got the Silver, which even without Brians input was excellent, but his touch certainly enhanced the song. Ruby Tuesday and recorder playing, plus Keith adding accent with his Cello playing, Paint It Black and his playing throughout Aftermath.

Aside from excelling at slide playing I do not believe Brian was that good of a guitar player when compared to his peers, again, when compared to his peers. After he broke his hand in late 1965 or 1966, it never healed correctly and severely limited his ability to excercise his talents on the guitar. Truely a shame.

In the end I would have to say that No Expectations was his finest moment. His slide playing on that song was poignent, not too much, not too little, just the right amount. HIS PLAYING MADE THE SONG. It truely believe it was his swansong in my opinion, and I think he knew it and he was able to emote his feelings through his playing.

His health problems, both mental and phsyical, the drugs, booze, his insecurities, and his treatment by Keith, Mick and Andrew in 66/67 all aded up to a trainwreck. A.shame in all manners.

MILO NYC

Date: May 2, 2009 21:42

MILO NYC
Aside from excelling at slide playing I do not believe Brian was that good of a guitar player when compared to his peers, again, when compared to his peers.

This is perhaps true but I don't think Brian cared for being a guitar virtuoso. I think from an artistic point of view, he was more interested in what kind of sound(s) he could get out of a guitar rather than how many notes he could manage out of a solo. In that sense, he was more like George Harrison, always experimenting with sound and seeing what boundaries he could probe and push. His guitar work on IWBYM, The Last Time, It's All Over Now, Cloud, and Mercy, Mercy are good example of that philosophy, all sonic (rather than technical) gems.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: May 2, 2009 23:59

MILO NYC
In my opinion Brian had many excellent contributions that added that something that made certain songs become more than they were. Under My Thumb, Dandelion, No Expectations, his minimal work on You Got the Silver, which even without Brians input was excellent, but his touch certainly enhanced the song. Ruby Tuesday and recorder playing, plus Keith adding accent with his Cello playing, Paint It Black and his playing throughout Aftermath.

Aside from excelling at slide playing I do not believe Brian was that good of a guitar player when compared to his peers, again, when compared to his peers. After he broke his hand in late 1965 or 1966, it never healed correctly and severely limited his ability to excercise his talents on the guitar. Truely a shame.

In the end I would have to say that No Expectations was his finest moment. His slide playing on that song was poignent, not too much, not too little, just the right amount. HIS PLAYING MADE THE SONG. It truely believe it was his swansong in my opinion, and I think he knew it and he was able to emote his feelings through his playing.

His health problems, both mental and phsyical, the drugs, booze, his insecurities, and his treatment by Keith, Mick and Andrew in 66/67 all aded up to a trainwreck. A.shame in all manners.

MILO NYC

Is that you Milo? Back again after three years?
[www.iorr.org]

Date: May 3, 2009 03:55

MILO NYC
I totally agree with you. Mick has said that Brian lost interest in instruments pretty quickly. He never gave himself the time to master any of them fully. But even if Brian just learnt enough to "get away with it" he certainly had a way of knowing what he should play on different songs. As you say - his contributions made those tunes.

Still, I have to say that Brian was an amazing rhythm guitar player. The albums before Aftermath shows this I think. When it came to playing lead he just couldn't keep up with Keith (Keith is Keith...) and that might be one reason that he decided to experiment with other instruments. I just think it's sad that he let Keith do all the guitars after 1966/67 as their different styles fit so good together.

Date: May 3, 2009 14:53

Doxa
Another work of simplicity but genious is the riff of "The Last Time". It sets the road for The Stones (and many others) as a guitar riff band and it still sounds eternal and catchy. And be it as simple as it ever is I have NEVER heard anyone repeat the magic impression Brian does in the original . . .

Late reply here, but I agree 100% with this. Johnny Marr was recently quoted in MOJO saying the Last Time riff was 'heavenly'. The only problem was that he mentioned this in a tribute to Keith Richards. This sort of misinformation, thanks to Mick and Keith's refusal to divulge much of the band's recording and rehearsal history via an official anthology, has really hurt Brian's musical legacy. You know its bad when Guitar World credits Keith with the slide on Little Red Rooster . . .

Date: May 3, 2009 15:00

tonterapi

Very interesting. Nice little piece of music. Kind of goes against the widely held belief that Brian didn't have a creative bone in his body.

Date: May 3, 2009 18:34

Yes, It's a big shame that the entire soundtrack never has been released as this would have proved that Brian indeed could write songs no matter what Mick and Keith claim. . I strongly believe that Brian was too shy and intiminated to let anybody - mostly Mick and Keith - hear the things he did.

I've just heard bits and pieces of A Degree of Murder and it's really good. It sounds much like the things Brian added to Stones songs.

Date: May 4, 2009 00:07

tonterapi
I've just heard bits and pieces of A Degree of Murder and it's really good. It sounds much like the things Brian added to Stones songs.

The more I listen to bits of the ADOM soundtrack, the more I like it. It's very sophisticated for its time, using all kinds of arrangements, tempo, and technology. The melody used throughout is catchy, and I particularly like all the transformations it goes through.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 4, 2009 00:24

Though Brian has many fine hours with the STones my personal favorite is No Expecations

Date: May 4, 2009 00:28

neptune

The more I listen to bits of the ADOM soundtrack, the more I like it. It's very sophisticated for its time, using all kinds of arrangements, tempo, and technology. The melody used throughout is catchy, and I particularly like all the transformations it goes through.

I completely agree!

thumbs up

Posted by: ghostryder13 ()
Date: May 4, 2009 06:37

brian's finest hr was the aftermath sessions

Posted by: Mock Jogger ()
Date: May 6, 2009 00:12

Mathijs

And could you hear the acoustic on that picture?

Actually, you mix up the events of three US tours into one - I guess inspired by Philip Norman, who mixes up exactly the same things (and is very unreliable in general). You mix up other things as well.

Mathijs
(according to Wyman he [Brian] was in a hospital)

The only time Brian was in hospital while the Stones were on tour was from Nov. 11, 1964 to Nov. 14, 1964. This was during the Stones' second US tour. Satisfaction was recorded on May 10 (Chicago) and May 12, 1965 (Los Angeles), during the Stones' third US tour. Wyman never said what you claim he did.

Mathijs
there's a couple of pics of Keith and Jack Nitzsche, Keith in a white blouse with a Gibson Country and Western, shot by Mankowitz, with undersript of Wyman saying that these were shot during overdubs for Satisfaction. There's some remarks in Wyman's Rolling with the Stones as well.

The only Stones US tour Mankowitz was part of was the fourth US tour of the Stones (late Oct. 1965 to early Dec. 1965). He says so in his own picture book Mason Yard to Promrose Hill (1995, p. 13). The studio shots you refer to were taken at the first Aftermath sessions in Dec. 1965.
There is no Wyman remark existing that connects any picture of Keith with an overdub for Satisfaction, neither in any Mankowitz book nor in any Wyman book. That's pure fantasy.

Mathijs
There's quite some interviews where all the Stones state they recorded it as a demo while on the road, with Jones being away (according to Wyman he was in hospital).

The hospital part I already corrected. These interviews you are talking about do not exist. Legend is that Keith recorded the riff on a small tape cassette recorder while the Stones were on tour in Florida in order to not forget the idea for it - there is plenty of interviews stating this. This has nothing to do with the studio recording at all.
According to Wyman (correctly quoted, for some change here) the first versions (from Chicago on May 10) were those with Brian on harmonica. So Brian was part of the sessions from the very beginning, when the band was trying to get the track into shape trying every way possible, just as the Stones usually worked in the studio.
Brian was part of the sessions at the very end, as well, when they decided what to do with the finished track:

After we listened to the master, we discussed whether it should be the next single, as Andrew and Dave Hassinger, our patient recording engineer, were so positive about it. We put it on the vote. Andrew, Dave, Stu, Brian, Charlie and I voted yes, while Mick and Keith voted no. The majority carried the day. [Bill Wyman, Stone Alone, p. 380, paperback edition]

This is one of the most detailed reports about a Stones recording session given by a member of the group I know of. There is not the slightest indication Brian was absent from the sessions, but several points showing Brian was present. (I didn't qote the whole passage. In parts Wyman writes about other tracks being recorded as well, to which Brian definitely contributed. Wyman's account in his second book, Rolling With The Stones, is basically the same, only shorter.)

By the way: I don't think the acoustic is actually needed for the enormous impact of Satisfaction. So I don't think it would make any sense for Keith to overdub it; all he cared for at this session was the sound of his electric guitar, and very rightly so. So it seems only logical it was Brian playing the acoustic, as a leftover of earlier versions, in which the fuzz tone wasn't as powerful as in the end. Quite often, especially with their key tracks, the Stones needed a lot of time to find the final shape, and parts they started with may have been lost in the process, but still might have been crucial for the way the recording was taking.

Date: May 6, 2009 03:47

Why, drowning, of course. And setting himself up there w/Jimmy and Janis and Jim Morrison!

"The wonder of Jimi Hendrix was that he could stand up at all he was so pumped full of drugs." Patsy, Patsy Stone

Date: May 6, 2009 04:03

The Menace of Mayfair
Why, drowning, of course. And setting himself up there w/Jimmy and Janis and Jim Morrison!

Jimmy, Janis, and Jimbo followed Brian dude, not the other way around! Very poor taste.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 6, 2009 23:03

Mock Jogger
Mathijs

And could you hear the acoustic on that picture?

Actually, you mix up the events of three US tours into one - I guess inspired by Philip Norman, who mixes up exactly the same things (and is very unreliable in general). You mix up other things as well.

Mathijs
(according to Wyman he [Brian] was in a hospital)

The only time Brian was in hospital while the Stones were on tour was from Nov. 11, 1964 to Nov. 14, 1964. This was during the Stones' second US tour. Satisfaction was recorded on May 10 (Chicago) and May 12, 1965 (Los Angeles), during the Stones' third US tour. Wyman never said what you claim he did.

Mathijs
there's a couple of pics of Keith and Jack Nitzsche, Keith in a white blouse with a Gibson Country and Western, shot by Mankowitz, with undersript of Wyman saying that these were shot during overdubs for Satisfaction. There's some remarks in Wyman's Rolling with the Stones as well.

The only Stones US tour Mankowitz was part of was the fourth US tour of the Stones (late Oct. 1965 to early Dec. 1965). He says so in his own picture book Mason Yard to Promrose Hill (1995, p. 13). The studio shots you refer to were taken at the first Aftermath sessions in Dec. 1965.
There is no Wyman remark existing that connects any picture of Keith with an overdub for Satisfaction, neither in any Mankowitz book nor in any Wyman book. That's pure fantasy.

Mathijs
There's quite some interviews where all the Stones state they recorded it as a demo while on the road, with Jones being away (according to Wyman he was in hospital).

The hospital part I already corrected. These interviews you are talking about do not exist. Legend is that Keith recorded the riff on a small tape cassette recorder while the Stones were on tour in Florida in order to not forget the idea for it - there is plenty of interviews stating this. This has nothing to do with the studio recording at all.
According to Wyman (correctly quoted, for some change here) the first versions (from Chicago on May 10) were those with Brian on harmonica. So Brian was part of the sessions from the very beginning, when the band was trying to get the track into shape trying every way possible, just as the Stones usually worked in the studio.
Brian was part of the sessions at the very end, as well, when they decided what to do with the finished track:

After we listened to the master, we discussed whether it should be the next single, as Andrew and Dave Hassinger, our patient recording engineer, were so positive about it. We put it on the vote. Andrew, Dave, Stu, Brian, Charlie and I voted yes, while Mick and Keith voted no. The majority carried the day. [Bill Wyman, Stone Alone, p. 380, paperback edition]

This is one of the most detailed reports about a Stones recording session given by a member of the group I know of. There is not the slightest indication Brian was absent from the sessions, but several points showing Brian was present. (I didn't qote the whole passage. In parts Wyman writes about other tracks being recorded as well, to which Brian definitely contributed. Wyman's account in his second book, Rolling With The Stones, is basically the same, only shorter.)

By the way: I don't think the acoustic is actually needed for the enormous impact of Satisfaction. So I don't think it would make any sense for Keith to overdub it; all he cared for at this session was the sound of his electric guitar, and very rightly so. So it seems only logical it was Brian playing the acoustic, as a leftover of earlier versions, in which the fuzz tone wasn't as powerful as in the end. Quite often, especially with their key tracks, the Stones needed a lot of time to find the final shape, and parts they started with may have been lost in the process, but still might have been crucial for the way the recording was taking.

I disagree on several points, but: I am not an expert of any kind of pre-68 Stones.

There are several accounts of Jones being sick, ill or in hospital durin the US tours and recording sessions. Some are due to drugs, some due to asthma, one time he broke his hand hitting Anita, but -he clearly missed sessions, as stated by many people around the Stones.

According to both Wyman and Andrew Oldham, they tried Satisfaction with an harmonica overdub before the recording of the final version in LA. During the recording in LA, according to Oldham and Wyman Jones was missing some sessions, and for Satisfaction they only taped some demos, with Keith scetching the horn section with his fuzz box, and later overdubbing some acoustic guitar.

Then stories diverge, but in the end the demo was released after all, and we know the story from then.

But, the story sounds very likely: Satisfaction does sound like a demo. There's various mistakes in the fuzz guitar part. The acoustic does sound like Keith, it's very remeniscent of his later acoustic work on for example Beggars. And, there's a very early version of the Stones miming the song on TV (it's on youtube), and Jones is seen miming the acoustic: he clearly does not know the chords.

Last, I disagree with your view on the acoustic guitar: it's sheer brilliance to only have acoustic in the verses, it's so much more powerfull than any other instrument could have been.

Mathijs

Date: May 11, 2009 01:26

Mathijs
The acoustic does sound like Keith, it's very remeniscent of his later acoustic work on for example Beggars. And, there's a very early version of the Stones miming the song on TV (it's on youtube), and Jones is seen miming the acoustic: he clearly does not know the chords.

Last, I disagree with your view on the acoustic guitar: it's sheer brilliance to only have acoustic in the verses, it's so much more powerfull than any other instrument could have been.

In having listened to the acoustic on Satisfaction and Keith's acoustic parts throughout Beggar's extensively, I must say that I don't hear much resemblance or similarity there. The styles are very different. There's a more gentle, subtle touch on the Satisfaction acoustic that's very different from the edgier, bolder style used by Keith throughout Beggars, TSMR, Aftermath, LIB, etc. I totally disagree with you there. You've made statements before about Brian hardly playing acoustic guitar on any Stones records. If that's the case, then explain all the dozens of pictures of Brian strumming acoustic guitars in the studio and in live performances. You mean to tell me Brian was never recorded in any of these instances? Well, for one, Brian is shown playing acoustic guitar in a 1963 live performance of You Better Move On, and he does a good job. So going by that, one has to assume that Brian most probably played acoustic guitar in other Stones records. Lastly, Brian does play the rhythm part of Satisfaction in two televised live performances, one of them being on the Ed Sullivan show. On both performances, Brian plays electric guitar, but he does a good job of replicating the Satisfaction rhythm part.

Date: May 20, 2009 02:56

Mathijs

Mathijs, can you email me!? I need your assistance regarding an amp in Holland.

grinning smiley

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1380
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home