Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT Springsteen Setlist San Jose CA April 1
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: April 2, 2009 07:11

While the Stones continue their hiatus, here's what the E Street band have played so far tonight:

1) Badlands
2) Outlaw Pete
3) My Lucky Day
4) No Surrender
5) Out in the Street
6) Working on a Dream
7) Seeds

...to be continued.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-02 07:18 by bassplayer617.

Re: OT Springsteen Setlist San Jose CA April 1
Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: April 2, 2009 10:42

Here is the whole setlist BP. I was there. Good show. Pretty safe setlist. But it was opening night. I'll be in Glendale on Fri and provide a few more opener details in the morning.

8:33
1. Badlands
2. Outlaw Pete
3. My Lucky Day
4. No Surrender
5. Out In The Street
6. Working On A Dream
7. Seeds
8. Johnny 99
9. Ghost of Tom Joad
10. Good Eye
11. Good Rockin' Tonight
Collecting signs
12. Darlington County
13. Growin' Up (a sign request)
14. Waitin' On A Sunny Day (a sign request)
15. The Promised Land
16. The Wrestler
17. Kingdom Of Days
18. Radio Nowhere
19. Lonesome Day
20. Born To Run

Thanks for coming!! PSA

21. Hard Times
22. Thunder Road
23. Dancing In The Dark
24. Tenth Ave Freezeout
25. Land of Hope and Dreams
26. American Land

11:12

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: R ()
Date: April 2, 2009 14:08

At what point did Saint Springsteen lecture about the state of the Nation? Or is he all over that?

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: April 2, 2009 14:09

Two and a half hours and twenty-six tunes?
MICK, are you listening ?

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: April 2, 2009 14:12

R
At what point did Saint Springsteen lecture about the state of the Nation? Or is he all over that?

If he did, it takes up about 30 seconds of an almost 3 hour show..like it did on the last tour, contrary to the myth you like to peddle ad nauseam

By the way, did you ever listen to the last Stones album? You obviously missed the political content.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-02 14:22 by Gazza.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 2, 2009 14:15

The Stones can't do a 26 tunes set anymore,also the amazing thing is that Bruce keeps his warhorses to a minimum,lots of not played often songs in this set.
Thanks for posting

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Date: April 2, 2009 14:20

ROPENI
The Stones can't do a 26 tunes set anymore,also the amazing thing is that Bruce keeps his warhorses to a minimum,lots of not played often songs in this set.
Thanks for posting

I saw the Stones open in DC in '94 with 27 songs. It was hotter than a b-tch and by the end even the audience was hard pressed to stand up. Within three weeks the show was down to 23-24 songs. Admittedly they were trying out everything since i was opening night.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: April 2, 2009 15:04

R
ROPENI
Thanks for posting

I saw the Stones open in DC in '94 with 27 songs. It was hotter than a b-tch and by the end even the audience was hard pressed to stand up. Within three weeks the show was down to 23-24 songs. Admittedly they were trying out everything since i was opening night.

By the timne of the ABB tour they were down to an 18,19 song set at the most..

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: April 2, 2009 18:45

Thats a pretty rough set-list. I would only listen attentively to MAYBE 25% of those songs and those 25% I've heard umpteen times before. Fully 75% would go in one ear and out the other. The Ghost of Tom Joad?!?!? Pu-Leeeeze. If he's going to focus on the last 3 or 4 records AT Least include The Rising and Gypsey Biker!

Posted by: bumbum ()
Date: April 2, 2009 18:45

ROPENI
R
ROPENI
Thanks for posting

By the timne of the ABB tour they were down to an 18,19 song set at the most..

Well, it is not worse than AC-DC on the 2008 tour. They play 18 songs.
It's the quality not the quantity.

Posted by: socialdistortion ()
Date: April 2, 2009 18:47

No "41 shots" his hate anthem about our great cops?

Posted by: The Stones ()
Date: April 2, 2009 19:46

The Boss kicks as again. As always. I'm just hoping that Max will be playing drums on the shows in Sweden.

Posted by: stones_serb ()
Date: April 2, 2009 20:19

socialdistortion

I don't see what's wrong about this song..It doesn't condemn cops in general.It just points out that there are cops who abuse their authority because of their bigotry.The song is a winner.It's a pity he seems to have completely forgotten about it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-02 20:21 by stones_serb.

Date: April 2, 2009 20:23

Duane in Houston
Thats a pretty rough set-list. I would only listen attentively to MAYBE 25% of those songs and those 25% I've heard umpteen times before. Fully 75% would go in one ear and out the other. The Ghost of Tom Joad?!?!? Pu-Leeeeze. If he's going to focus on the last 3 or 4 records AT Least include The Rising and Gypsey Biker!

It's a good setlist but it certainly could have been better.Unlike you I am happy to see The ghost of Tom Joad in the set.He should include more songs from The River album and have Jungleland in the encore set.

Date: April 2, 2009 20:34

Allright after 3 cups of coffee,I'm ready to take on the world...and the Springsteen haters. First of all,no political speeches. A brief mention for a local food bank as he always does. First time I have seen a Springsteen tour opener. The band as usual was tighter than a cuns nunt. Clearly focused on business. Bruce didn't even address the crowd until about halfway through. A very tight opening 90 mins. The supposed lack of rehearsals didn't seem to faze them. I could quibble about the setlist. Some good,some not so much. It'll take a while for the new stuff to click. But at least he plays his new material. Highlights:Badlands as an opener. A rocking Johnny 99. Darlington County was good,considering I didn't hear it on the last tour. Growing Up was a request. The Wrestler was good. An audilble for Thunder Road during the encore was fun,Espicially since somebody in the audience held up a movie poster from the old Robert Mitchum movie of the same name. TAFO was fun. I didn't hear that one on 7 shows during the Magic tour. Land of Hope and Dreams was suberb. He could of stopped there. American Land just doesn't seem to move people much. But,all in all,a good fun opening night show. It'll be interesting to see and hear how the tour evolves from here. I'll find out pretty fast,since I'm heading for Phoenix Friday night.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-02 21:47 by sweetcharmedlife.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 2, 2009 21:20

Glad ya enjoyed, scl.

Date: April 2, 2009 22:02

stones_serb
socialdistortion

I don't see what's wrong about this song..It doesn't condemn cops in general.It just points out that there are cops who abuse their authority because of their bigotry.The song is a winner.It's a pity he seems to have completely forgotten about it.

For one thing it begat the Bruce backlash which has only grown in the years since. His horrific new album has yet to sell 500,000 units worldwide.

Posted by: birdie ()
Date: April 3, 2009 01:36

R
stones_serb
socialdistortion

For one thing it begat the Bruce backlash which has only grown in the years since. His horrific new album has yet to sell 500,000 units worldwide.

Date: April 3, 2009 01:44

Horrific? That's funny.Once again another number 1 album around the world. And by the way, the album has sold over 1 million globally. Get your facts straight.

Date: April 3, 2009 04:18

Come on, his new album is excellent.It may not be nearly as great as Magic and The Rising but it's only because these two are almost as brilliant as his seventies stuff.Working on a Dream is still one of the best albums of the year.Regarding the sales, I don't think that at this point of Springsteen's career they should matter much.As long as he is uncompromising about his music, nothing else matters.Over the last few years he has proved to be an artist of great integrity who is not afraid to voice his opinion even if it might alienate some fans.That's what rock music is all about, being yourself.Also I don't think that he ever offended anyone who has different political views, especially not through his songs.At least, that's my point of view.

Date: April 3, 2009 06:57

Some photos from the San Jose show: [www.mercurynewsphoto.com]

Date: April 3, 2009 06:59

"The Wrestler" live:

Date: April 3, 2009 07:18

A good review from the San Francisco Chronicle:

Is there a more consistently thrilling concert moment than the millisecond between Bruce Springsteen tilting the mike stand toward his face, snarling "1-2-3-4!," and the E Street Band charging into its next song?

For the thousands packed into the HP Pavilion in San Jose on Wednesday night, the answer, of course, was no - it's a moment when anything, any song from any era, is possible. Even with a rather weak new album, "Working on a Dream," and the group's advancing age, Springsteen shows are inspirational events. He sashayed, slid, laid hands on the crowd and let them lay hands on his guitar. At one point, late in the show, he managed to do a backbend with the aforementioned mike stand between his legs. At 59, he is fit as a fiddle.

The set list is always the main concern of any devoted Boss fan. A man in line for concessions before the show confidently announced that Little Stevie (Van Zandt) had personally told him that a new cut, "My Lucky Day," would not be opening the show, and it turned out that that man was right. Around 8:30 p.m., a rousing "Badlands" kicked things off before two new songs - "Outlaw Pete," featuring Springsteen in an outlaw hat that he threw into the crowd and the crowd threw back and ended up on drummer Max Weinberg's head, and "My Lucky Day." Then came a fantastically arranged "No Surrender," and the flirty "Out in the Street" that worked just fine as a sing-along.

The beginning of the show, while expertly produced, was rather stiff. Guitarist and former "Soprano" cast member Little Stevie seemed oddly restrained. Sure, he got back to back with Springsteen and guitarist Patti Scialfa (otherwise known as Mrs. Bruce Springsteen), but there was far less showboating than normal. Clarence "Big Man" Clemons was also subdued, sitting on a chair for much of the show. It was left to chief guitar shredder Nils Lofgren to take the solo spotlight, attempting a few knee slides of his own.

"Working on a Dream" came next, with the familiar Springsteen exhortation of "Sing it like you mean it!" A honky-tonk version of "Johnny 99" put the spotlight on a few timely lines about foreclosure, and then out came a searing rendition of "The Ghost of Tom Joad." Not to be a total downer, Springsteen boogied to "Good Rockin' Tonight" and brought out beloved old songs like "Darlington County" and "Growin' Up," along with some newer hits from post-2000 albums like "Waiting on a Sunny Day," "Lonesome Day," "Radio Nowhere." A few more new songs, like "The Wrestler," made up the second half of the show. The lights went up for the finale, an ecstatic "Born to Run."

But the Springsteen encore experience is never an afterthought. The Stephen Foster classic "Hard Times" preceded a spare "Thunder Road," and then came perhaps the most joyful songs of the night: "Dancing in the Dark," complete with Springsteen picking up a girl out of the audience, and the raucous "Tenth Avenue Freeze-Out" and "The Land of Hope and Dreams," followed by the traditional Irish song "American Land."

Springsteen would appear to be the artist most appropriate for this low economic moment. But it's a hard balance to strike in concert, as the public has been awash in bad news. There was palpable hunger for escapist fun - more getting in the car and driving away, and less Tom Joad. Luckily, just when we thought the action is over, out came another "1-2-3-4!"

Posted by: Slick ()
Date: April 3, 2009 12:58

"14. Waitin' On A Sunny Day (a sign request)"
weak pit, shouldve torn that sign up, wtf
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Date: April 3, 2009 16:56

birdie
Horrific? That's funny.Once again another number 1 album around the world. And by the way, the album has sold over 1 million globally. Get your facts straight.

This week Billboard has it at #56 and dropping like a rock. I stand by the 500,000 figure unless you can prove me wrong.

Date: April 3, 2009 19:55

Australia-22,000 Sweden-40,000
austria-12,000 Switzerland-15,000
U.K.-150,000
U.S.-500,000 Total-1,147,400

Canada-41,100 And I don,t put much weight into record sales.It is not
Belgium-16,3oo his best but a very good album with different sounds.
Denmark-20,000 Seems like you are not a fan which is ok.
France-46,000
Germany-90,000
Ireland-24,600
Italy-65,000
Netherlands-35,000
Norway-30,400
Spain-40,000

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 3, 2009 20:15

sweetcharmedlife
Is there a more consistently thrilling concert moment than the millisecond between Bruce Springsteen tilting the mike stand toward his face, snarling "1-2-3-4!," and the E Street Band charging into its next song?

yes

Date: April 3, 2009 20:25

StonesTod
sweetcharmedlife

yes
Just for the record,those are the words of the reviewer,not me...and we know where you stand on Springsteen tod.tongue sticking out smiley

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: April 3, 2009 20:27

sweetcharmedlife
StonesTod
sweetcharmedlife

yes
Just for the record,those are the words of the reviewer,not me...and we know where you stand on Springsteen tod.tongue sticking out smiley

yes, i know - i was responding to the reviewer. perhaps we can lure him to this site and i can personally set him straight. sorry you had to be the go-between.

Posted by: skyhawk ()
Date: April 3, 2009 21:55

Keep that American patriotism-shit over there

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-04-03 21:55 by skyhawk.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2243
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home