Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: New Dirty Strangers Record "West 12 To Wittering"
Posted by: barbabang ()
Date: March 25, 2009 13:57

A new record is coming out called "West 12 To Wittering"

feat. Keith Richards and Ron Wood

Sounds good to me (listening to 'Diamonds' right now)

This is what I got from their Myspace page:

THE DIRTY STRANGERS
Who was it that said, you are what you eat? Some tribe of cannibals, probably. But for the Dirty Strangers, you are where you live. They are Shepherds Bush – cosmopolitan, a bit rough around the edges and beating with a heart of gold.

The West London suburb, postcode West 12, begins where the M40 haunches and flies into the capital on an elevated stretch called the Westway. From there it spreads south and east to its snootier neighbours in Chiswick and Notting Hill. The borough is home to the BBC, HMP Wormwood Scrubs, Queens Park Rangers FC and the greatest little rock’n’roll band in the world.

The Dirty Strangers were born in 1986-ish when Clayton – riding on the coat-tails of punk while mixing the rootsy rock’n’roll of Eddie Cochran, Gene Vincent and Chuck Berry with a little bit of Otis Redding soul – honed a five-piece line-up including sometime Chuck Berry sideman ‘Scotty’ Mulvey and former Ruts guitarist Paul Fox.

Clayton, the band’s prime motivator and chief songwriter remained a man prone to ducking and diving – a loft extension here, a bit of security work there – and in the latter capacity met Big Joe Seabrook, a man who did the same for Keith Richards. Recognising a pair of soul brothers this man introduced Clayton to Richards and within minutes – in full Shepherds Bush market nothing-ventured nothing-gained bravado – the Dirties frontman was asking Keef, ‘Wanna hear our album? Wanna play on it?’

It just so happened that with the Stones on downtime and Mick making a solo album, Keef and Ron Wood were kicking their heels. Next thing, they were in some low-rent studio jamming because, well, it’s only rock’n’roll but they like it.

Their names and work appeared on the Dirty Strangers’ self-titled debut album in 1987 and rave reviews followed. In 1993 a fine second album, Burn The Bubble, emerged but the world beyond W12 inexplicably missed out and the Dirties lapsed into hiatus – lofts were extended, kitchens finally finished…

Clayton, though, never stopped writing songs and playing gigs. He also stayed in touch with Keith and Ronnie and eventually joined the inner circle of crew on the Stones’ mammoth Bigger Bang tour of 2005-2007. With that jaunt completed the Dirties were reborn and a third album, once again featuring contributions by Keith and Ronnie. Its title – West 12 To Wittering – a homage both to the area that spawned it and the Rolling Stones guitarist who once told Alan Clayton: “We’re the same, you and me, but you didn’t get the breaks…”

The new album is somewhat of a pastiche of Arthur Laurent's 'West Side Story, (just swap Shepherds Bush for New York) Clayton writes his own musical, influenced by personal life experiences that embrace gang culture, hoodlums, isolation, liberty, motors, and love stories.

Keith plays piano on 5 tracks and on 'All Away' is joined by the legendary Joe Brown playing banjo. Ronnie Wood's slide guitar is on two tracks, 'South Of The River' & 'Gold Cortina'. Joe Brown's son Pete produced the album except for 'Real Botticelli' (co-written by Keith as was 'Bad Girls') which was produced by former Damned founder member, Brian James.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-25 13:57 by barbabang.

Re: OT: New Dirty Strangers Record "West 12 To Wittering"
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 25, 2009 14:43

Very interesting to hear. Even more so that Keith is writing and even more interesting that he's writing on piano and not guitar.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: March 25, 2009 17:57

Could Keef's piano playing instead of guitar have anything to do with his arthritis ?

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: StonesTod ()
Date: March 25, 2009 21:14

the only reason i would even consider buying this would be to see if it's humanly possible to record a worse piece of shite than their first album.....enquiring minds wanna know or something...

Posted by: JJHMick ()
Date: March 25, 2009 21:19

Stonestod, you haven't seen - sorry, heard , those bathing belles!

Date: March 25, 2009 21:22

i've heard and i've seen enough

Posted by: straycatuk ()
Date: March 25, 2009 21:22

oh god please NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

.....................I haved seen the future - Keith standing at a keyboard stage left doodling and mumbling like the greatest ever songwriter now does.

The 1st Dirty Strangers album was excellent btw .

sc uk

Date: March 25, 2009 21:25

album artwork was oright, but the music within gave new meaning to the term unlistenable.

Date: March 25, 2009 21:33

straycatuk
standing at a keyboard stage left doodling and mumbling like the greatest ever songwriter now does.

listening to monday's stockholm show now - nary a noodle or mumble to be heard....keith should be so fortunate....

Date: March 25, 2009 21:35

Diamonds (you can listen to it on myspace) does feature Keith on guitar.
It works for me!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-25 21:45 by barbabang.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 25, 2009 21:42

Some of Keith and Ronnie's guitar licks on the first Dirty Strangers LP are virtually identical to licks they played on DIRTY WORK. I found this quite strange at the time. Its been ages since I've listened to The Dirty Strangers, but my recollection is it wasn't anything to be ashamed of.

Date: March 25, 2009 21:43

StonesTod
album artwork was oright, but the music within gave new meaning to the term unlistenable.
When reading "unlistenable", I straight away wanted to write not DS but the Jim Carroll Band abd send it. But studying the cover there is no Keith on that record (only Bobby Keys) and I'm sure I didn't buy it because of BK, Leo diCaprio or RSRecords president Earl McGrath as producer. Can anyone help me why Keith comes to my mind with that record?

Date: March 25, 2009 21:46

carroll's first album, "catholic boy"? with "people who died?" maybe cos keith played with carroll's band on that song at a new york gig...or it was keith who got jim the record deal with atlantic....

you don't like that album? i think it kills....

Date: March 25, 2009 21:47

Keith jammed with Jim Caroll on stage in 1981 (I think) somewhere in NYC. Maybe that is what had you confused?

Date: March 25, 2009 21:51

june 26, 1980 at the Trax in NYC, to be precise - good recording circulates....

Date: March 25, 2009 21:54

Thank you, Stonestod and Barbabang, for the enlightenment! And, funny enough, studying the song list before my post I remembered only Catholic Boy and People Who Died as "listenable". Well, I'm afraid I haven't heard his and the Dirty Strangers albums in this millenium I'll put them on tomorrow after work. Shall we three meet then again?

Date: March 25, 2009 21:57

Date: March 25, 2009 21:58

>Shall we three meet then again?

see you at the bar!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home