Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie inducting Bobby Womack in Rock Hall
Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: March 20, 2009 16:09

Didn't see this posted elsewhere, but Cleveland media are reporting Ronnie Wood will induct Bobby Womack into the Rock 'n' Roll Hall of Fame on April 4. Jimmy Page will also be on hand to induct Jeff Beck as a solo artist. The closing jam has some interesting possibilities.

Re: Ronnie inducting Bobby Womack in Rock Hall
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: March 20, 2009 16:35

Since they are friends and Ronnie's second album Now Look* was co-produced by Bobby, and has such an authentic R&B feel, that is a great choice.

Womack was on the Tavis Smiley TV show the other night talking about his career and the HoF.

His induction is long overdue.

* (Here's my take on the album)

NOW LOOK--Ronnie's best album
Date: July 29, 2005 01:35

The best Ronnie album by a country mile is "NOW LOOK" While the first album has some incredible tracks (I Can Feel the Fire, Mystifies Me) it kind of falls apart in places (Crotch Music).

NOW LOOK doesn't have those loose ends. In fact, by accident or design, it's practically a concept album! From the first song, I Got Lost When I Found You til I Got a Feeling, the last one, the songs are about a relationship. (OK, maybe not Big Bayou) And it's real intimate guy and girl stuff, not '70's Rock Star sex-cartoon love.

Credit that to Bobby Womack. While some of the tracks were leftover from the 1st album (Carribean Boogie for one) he infuses some real R&B production and perspective into the whole mix.

While this album is not the "Rocker" that some of Wood's other works are, the rewards are much more subtle with this one. Try driving through the desert at night listening to Breathe on Me. (Tracks like this make me lament the Stones under-use of Wood as a writer)

I didn't mention Ian McLagan. He co-produced (with Wood and Womack) and plays all over the album. Keith plays a killer intro on I Can Say She's Alright, and Mac's playing on that track takes it to an even higher level. If you listen on headphones, buried in the mix you can hear Bobby moaning!

In short, this album is the most seamless fusion of English guitar raunch and American R&B ever. I think of it as "EXILE ON SOUL ST.!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-21 03:18 by loog droog.

Posted by: ohnonotyouagain ()
Date: March 20, 2009 19:19

Page, Beck and Wood ... that should make for a pretty good jam.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 20, 2009 19:26

nothing against womack, but his impact on rock'n'roll merits inclusion in the hall? seems like maybe it's time to put a capper on the hall, which i've always thought was a dumb idea anyway....

Posted by: AngieBlue ()
Date: March 20, 2009 19:45

T&A
nothing against womack, but his impact on rock'n'roll merits inclusion in the hall? seems like maybe it's time to put a capper on the hall, which i've always thought was a dumb idea anyway....

They put Madonna in....what does that say?

Date: March 20, 2009 19:48

AngieBlue
T&A

i suppose. at least she's a household name, though her contributions to r&r are dubious at best. womack has neither notable r&r contribution nor general name recognition...

Date: March 20, 2009 19:48

Bobby Womack is a giant; as a singer, songwriter and sideman his career can stand up against most of the people in the rock n roll hall of fame. He's not rock n roll, but neither are most of the people in the hall.

I've gone through and crossed out all of the non rock n roll people in the hall. It's most of them. The hall of fame is a frigging joke, no doubt, but if some of these other non rock n roll fools are in there, Womack - who is a true talent, and a million times more important (and, in some cases, a million times more "rock n roll" ) than most of the folks in there already - certainly deserves inclusion.

Now, just because I crossed an artist off, doesn't mean I don't like them, and just because I didn't cross an artist off doesn't mean I do like them. My cross-outs are based entirely on who is "rock n roll" in my mind.

The final damnation of the rock n roll hall of fame? The Stooges aren't in there. F@#$ you, rock n roll hall of fame. You blow syphillitic dogs.

Performer

Beta
John Mellencamp
Leonard Cohen
Madonna

The Dave Clark Five
The Ventures
Sidemen
Little Walter
Non-Performer
Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff

Performer

Grandmaster Flash and the Furious Five
Patti Smith
R.E.M.
The Ronettes
Van Halen
Performer

Black Sabbath
Blondie
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Miles Davis
Sex Pistols
Lifetime Achievement
Herb Alpert and Jerry Moss
Performer

Buddy Guy
Percy Sledge
The O'Jays

The Pretenders
U2
Lifetime Achievement
Frank Barsalona
Seymour Stein

Performer

Bob Seger
George Harrison
Jackson Browne
Prince
The Dells
Traffic

ZZ Top
Lifetime Achievement
Jann S. Wenner
Performer

AC/DC
Elvis Costello & the Attractions
Righteous Brothers
The Clash
The Police

Sidemen
Benny Benjamin
Floyd Cramer
Steve Douglas

Non-Performer
Mo Ostin
Performer

Brenda Lee
Gene Pitney
Isaac Hayes

Ramones
Talking Heads
Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers

Sidemen
Chet Atkins
Non-Performer
Jim Stewart
Performer

Aerosmith
Michael Jackson
Paul Simon
Queen

Ritchie Valens
Solomon Burke
Steely Dan
The Flamingos

Sidemen
James Burton
Johnnie Johnson
Non-Performer
Chris Blackwell
Performer

Bonnie Raitt
Earth, Wind & Fire
Eric Clapton
James Taylor
Lovin' Spoonful
The Moonglows

Early Influence
Billie Holiday
Nat "King" Cole

Sidemen
Earl Palmer
Hal Blaine
James Jamerson
King Curtis

Scotty Moore
Non-Performer
Clive Davis
Performer

Billy Joel
Bruce Springsteen
Curtis Mayfield
Del Shannon
Dusty Springfield
Paul McCartney
The Staple Singers

Early Influence
Bob Wills and His Texas Playboys
Charles Brown

Non-Performer
George Martin
Performer

Fleetwood Mac
Gene Vincent
Lloyd Price
Santana
The Eagles
The Mamas and the Papas

Early Influence
Jelly Roll Morton
Non-Performer
Allen Toussaint
Performer

Buffalo Springfield
Crosby Stills and Nash
Joni Mitchell
Parliament-Funkadelic
The (Young) Rascals
The Bee Gees
The Jackson Five

Early Influence
Bill Monroe
Mahalia Jackson

Non-Performer
Syd Nathan
Performer

David Bowie
Gladys Knight and the Pips
Jefferson Airplane
Little Willie John
Pink Floyd
The Shirelles

The Velvet Underground
Early Influence
Pete Seeger
Non-Performer
Tom Donahue
Performer

Al Green
Frank Zappa

Janis Joplin
Led Zeppelin
Martha and the Vandellas
Neil Young

The Allman Brothers Band
Early Influence
The Orioles
Non-Performer
Paul Ackerman
Performer

Bob Marley
Duane Eddy
Elton John
John Lennon
Rod Stewart

The Animals
The Band
The Grateful Dead
Early Influence
Willie Dixon
Non-Performer
Johnny Otis
Performer

Cream
Creedence Clearwater Revival
Etta James
Frankie Lymon and the Teenagers
Ruth Brown
Sly and the Family Stone

The Doors
Van Morrison
Early Influence
Dinah Washington
Non-Performer
Dick Clark
Milt Gabler

Performer

Bobby "Blue" Bland
Booker T. and the M.G.'s
Johnny Cash
Sam and Dave
The Isley Brothers

The Jimi Hendrix Experience
The Yardbirds
Early Influence
Elmore James
Professor Longhair
Non-Performer
Bill Graham
Doc Pomus
Leo Fender

Performer

Ike and Tina Turner
Jimmy Reed
John Lee Hooker
LaVern Baker
The Byrds
The Impressions
Wilson Pickett

Early Influence
Howlin' Wolf
Lifetime Achievement
Nesuhi Ertegun
Non-Performer
Dave Bartholomew
Ralph Bass
Performer
Bobby Darin
Hank Ballard
Simon and Garfunkel
The Four Seasons
The Four Tops

The Kinks
The Platters
The Who
Early Influence
Charlie Christian
Louis Armstrong
Ma Rainey

Non-Performer
Gerry Goffin and Carole King
Holland-Dozier-Holland

Performer

Dion
Otis Redding
Stevie Wonder

The Rolling Stones
The Temptations
Early Influence
Bessie Smith
The Ink Spots
The Soul Stirrers

Non-Performer
Phil Spector
Performer
Bob Dylan
The Beach Boys
The Beatles
The Drifters
The Supremes

Early Influence
Lead Belly
Les Paul
Woody Guthrie

Non-Performer
Berry Gordy, Jr
Performer

Aretha Franklin
B.B. King
Big Joe Turner

Bill Haley
Bo Diddley
Carl Perkins
Clyde McPhatter
Eddie Cochran
Jackie Wilson
Marvin Gaye
Muddy Waters
Ricky Nelson
Roy Orbison
Smokey Robinson

The Coasters
Early Influence
Hank Williams
Louis Jordan
T-Bone Walker

Non-Performer
Ahmet Ertegun
Jerry Leiber and Mike Stoller
Jerry Wexler
Leonard Chess

Performer
Buddy Holly
Chuck Berry
Elvis Presley
Fats Domino
James Brown
Jerry Lee Lewis
Little Richard
Ray Charles
Sam Cooke
The Everly Brothers

Early Influence
Jimmie Rodgers
Jimmy Yancey
Robert Johnson

John Hammond
Non-Performer
Alan Freed
Sam Phillips

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-20 20:06 by The Ghost Of Good taste.

Posted by: VoodooLounge13 ()
Date: March 20, 2009 19:52

When I think about the RnR Hall of Fame, I think of it more as a HofF for all of music - RnR is pretty generic in my view, but maybe it'd be better suited called the Music HofF. No one can deny the importance of Madonna or REM on music. Hell, there are several crossed off people on that list who have made a definitive impact in my opinion.

Date: March 20, 2009 19:56

T&A
AngieBlue
T&A

i suppose. at least she's a household name, though her contributions to r&r are dubious at best. womack has neither notable r&r contribution nor general name recognition...

Huh?!

You don't know Bobby Womack? Perhaps he doesn't have "general name recognition" in the "White music" community, but Bobby Womack is very important and respected in the world of Soul; and if Sam & Dave, Sam Cooke, all of the Motown acts, The Godfather, Aretha, Ray Charles, The Staples, Otis and all of the other Soul legends deserve inclusioin, so does Womack. Beyond that, "name recognition" means something as far as inclusion in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? I was always under the impression that the "Rock n Roll" part of the title was the important part. I had no idea it was the "Fame" part.

Date: March 20, 2009 19:57

that's a notion, vl13 - but there are many other music hof's too.

your general point applies to all these blues and jazz fests - used to be you'd go to one and you could pretty much expect to see a "who's who" of either blues or jazz. not anymore. case in point: check out the lineup to this year's sonoma jazz fest...4 days and not a single act you could appraise as a jazz act:

DATE ARTIST STAGE TIME

05/21/2009 BIG BAD VOODOO DADDY Main Festival Stage 8:30pm
05/21/2009 LAVAY SMITH AND HER RED HOT SKILLET LICKERS SJ+ Village Stage 6:30pm - doors 6pm
05/22/2009 KEB' MO' Main Festival Stage 6:30pm - doors 5:30pm
05/22/2009 JOE COCKER Main Festival Stage 9pm
05/23/2009 SHELBY LYNNE Main Stage Festival 6:30pm - doors 5:30pm
05/23/2009 LYLE LOVETT AND HIS LARGE BAND Main Festival Stage 9pm
05/24/2009 ZIGGY MARLEY Main Festival Stage 9pm
05/24/2009 CHRIS ISAAK Main Festival Stage 6:30pm - doors 5:30pm

Date: March 20, 2009 19:58

VoodooLounge13
When I think about the RnR Hall of Fame, I think of it more as a HofF for all of music...maybe it'd be better suited called the Music HofF...

Maybe this is the best fix, VL13. Rock n Roll is very misleading as a title - as "Rock n Roll" is a very subjective term.

Date: March 20, 2009 19:59

The Ghost Of Good taste
T&A
AngieBlue
T&A

Huh?!

You don't know Bobby Womack? Perhaps he doesn't have "general name recognition" in the "White music" community, but Bobby Womack is very important and respected in the world of Soul; and if Sam & Dave, Sam Cooke, all of the Motown acts, The Godfather, Aretha, Ray Charles, The Staples, Otis and all of the other Soul legends deserve inclusioin, so does Womack. Beyond that, "name recognition" means something as far as inclusion in the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame? I was always under the impression that the "Rock n Roll" part of the title was the important part. I had no idea it was the "Fame" part.

i'm well aware of bobby womack and have a lot of his stuff...that's not my point. i would hazard a guess that 99% of people who call themselves rock and roll fans have never heard the name or couldn't tell you a single contribution of his to music.

Date: March 20, 2009 20:02

T&A
that's a notion, vl13 - but there are many other music hof's too.

your general point applies to all these blues and jazz fests - used to be you'd go to one and you could pretty much expect to see a "who's who" of either blues or jazz. not anymore. case in point: check out the lineup to this year's sonoma jazz fest...4 days and not a single act you could appraise as a jazz act:

DATE ARTIST STAGE TIME

05/21/2009 BIG BAD VOODOO DADDY Main Festival Stage 8:30pm
05/21/2009 LAVAY SMITH AND HER RED HOT SKILLET LICKERS SJ+ Village Stage 6:30pm - doors 6pm
05/22/2009 KEB' MO' Main Festival Stage 6:30pm - doors 5:30pm
05/22/2009 JOE COCKER Main Festival Stage 9pm
05/23/2009 SHELBY LYNNE Main Stage Festival 6:30pm - doors 5:30pm
05/23/2009 LYLE LOVETT AND HIS LARGE BAND Main Festival Stage 9pm
05/24/2009 ZIGGY MARLEY Main Festival Stage 9pm
05/24/2009 CHRIS ISAAK Main Festival Stage 6:30pm - doors 5:30pm

Yeeeah not much there I'd call Jazz...and you're right about many other hall of fames - even as I was typing it, I was thinking of my trip to the Country Hall of Fame and how there's some cross over to the Rock hall of fame. I guess in a lot of ways it's hard to really nail down one genre because someone in say Country might have a profound impact on a rock performer (superstar if you will) and if it wasn't for that country artist would we have had the rock star? And vice versa perhaps or substitute any other genres you'd like.

Date: March 20, 2009 20:02

T&A
i'm well aware of bobby womack and have a lot of his stuff...that's not my point. i would hazard a guess that 99% of people who call themselves rock and roll fans have never heard the name or couldn't tell you a single contribution of his to music.

The thing is, T&A, you could say the same about almost all of the sidemen, & a lot of the early influences and non-performers in there...and he's certainly not eliminated from inclusion for not being rock n roll.

We need a Soul Music Hall of Fame.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-20 20:03 by The Ghost Of Good taste.

Date: March 20, 2009 20:03

The Ghost Of Good taste
VoodooLounge13
When I think about the RnR Hall of Fame, I think of it more as a HofF for all of music...maybe it'd be better suited called the Music HofF...

Maybe this is the best fix, VL13. Rock n Roll is very misleading as a title - as "Rock n Roll" is a very subjective term.

Most definitely subjective, Ghost!! There's little from the early 60's that I'd call Rock, but it's rock-n-roll cuz that's what rnr was back then...over time I think it's evolved a lot.

Date: March 20, 2009 20:05

The Ghost Of Good taste
T&A

The thing is, T&A, you could say the same about almost all of the sidemen, & a lot of the early influences and non-performers in there...and he's certainly not eliminated from inclusion for not being rock n roll.

We need a Soul Music Hall of Fame.

of course. i'm just saying they have really loosened things up if they are including non-rocknroll folks who almost nobody has ever heard of...figures to only get worse, too... like i said - it was a bad idea in the beginning, and the slippery slope is getting icier each year....

Date: March 20, 2009 20:09

T&A
of course. i'm just saying they have really loosened things up if they are including non-rocknroll folks who almost nobody has ever heard of...figures to only get worse, too... like i said - it was a bad idea in the beginning, and the slippery slope is getting icier each year....

I agree.

...and what could be less rock n roll than having a museum where old men in tuxedoes gather annually to suck each other off and engage in 19-guitar "jams"?

Disgusting, and, most decidedly, not rock n roll.

Date: March 20, 2009 20:09

What exactly is the qualification? How long does a band have to be together to be considered? I'd think it's longer than Nirvana was around, but I doubt anyone could argue their place in the Hall.

Date: March 20, 2009 20:13

20 years or 25 years since a first recording...or something like that, i believe...

Date: March 20, 2009 20:15

25 years from first release is the qualification. Bobby Womack has earned his place, no doubt about it in my mind.

Date: March 20, 2009 20:23

25 years from first release...........Hmmmm then it should please Gazza to know that it now makes Bon Jovi eligible!! Their self-titled debut came out in '84!!

Date: March 20, 2009 21:14

Actually Bon Jovi will be eligible next year. The 2009 inductions are for those whose first release was at least 25 years before 2008. Confusing, I grant you, but a bit like how the 2009 Oscars honor 2008 films.

Date: March 20, 2009 21:24

Like when Solomon Burke was inducted, I think when Bobby performs at the RnR HoF show people are going to be blown away. He will be rediscovered.

He's a huge talent that whose entry has been long overdue.

It's true, he's not really known to the "rock" audience--you don't see a lot of white people at his shows.

But in addition to a lot of other great classics, he did write "It's All Over Now."

Does that ring a bell for you non-R&B-loving Stones-fans?

Date: March 20, 2009 21:53

Right on, LD.

He also played guitar for Pickett and Aretha (he also wrote quite a bit for Pickett) , was the only guest musician on There's A Riot Goin' On - which for my money is a top ten all-time record, he played and wrote a song on Pearl, wrote and performed perhaps the greatest Blaxploitation song ever ("Across 110th St" ), and is, in my opinion, the greatest cover artist of all time. Check his versions of "Fire and Rain", "California Dreaming", "Sweet Caroline", & "I Love Her" - none of these are what I would call great songs, but in Womack's hands, they become classics. Anyone who doesn't know the man's work, and would like to, I would advise picking up Communication/Understanding - a 2 album on 1 CD set. The man was a genius - even though he moved in with the Widow Cooke before Sam's body was even cold, and he wore Sam's suits around town shortly after his passing.

EDIT:
...and, he played guitar Lefty, upside-down, which I can't even imagine trying to do.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2009-03-20 21:58 by The Ghost Of Good taste.

Date: March 20, 2009 21:53

Rocky Dijon
Actually Bon Jovi will be eligible next year. The 2009 inductions are for those whose first release was at least 25 years before 2008. Confusing, I grant you, but a bit like how the 2009 Oscars honor 2008 films.

Yes - sorry I'd meant that they were now eligible this year for next year. winking smiley Shall I buy a ticket for Gazza?

Date: March 21, 2009 00:07

The Ghost Of Good taste
Right on, LD.

He also .....is, in my opinion, the greatest cover artist of all time. Check his versions of "Fire and Rain", "California Dreaming", "Sweet Caroline", & "I Love Her" - none of these are what I would call great songs, but in Womack's hands, they become classics.

Don't forget his version of "Fly Me To the Moon."

I think there are two kinds of people: those who love Bobby Womack music and those who have never heard it

Posted by: roundnround ()
Date: March 21, 2009 04:35

check out his resurrection album, with contributions from keith and ronnie... and don't forget his playing on dirty work... he deserves every honor he gets...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1764
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home