Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Metallica,MEN Arena,Manchester,Thursday 26th February 2009
Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: February 27, 2009 11:59

Hello,

I must getting adventurous in my old age,or something because this is one act that I would have crossed the road to avoid in years gone by,despite being unable to name more than two of their songs.Ahh,there's nothing like youthful prejudice!

I'll cut to the chase:this was an absolutely fantastic show.There was a lot of warmth from the band (not only because of the flames and pyros) directed to the crowd.No menace here-after all this is family friendly-metal!Whilst Metallica aren't quite up there with Brian Wilson for harmonies and melodies just yet,I was surprised by how er,pleasant-sounding their racket was.
Sure,you do get the 'chugga-chugga-chugga' riffs thrown in too,as well as some stop-start stuff,which incidentally allows little Lars to stand up and step back from the kit,only to dive back in at the last second.Nothing wrong with a bit of showboating either.

Speaking of Lars,the jury is still out.I'll have to commute his sentence to hang by the neck until dead (er,that's Celebrity Hanging folks) on the evidence of last night's show.That isn't because he is anything spectacular as a drummist,'cos he ain't to be fair,but more because he is a showman and really does connect with his fans who simply adore the wee man.As is the case for the rest of the band really and which is why Metallica are able to make these 'in-the-round' shows really work:there is always one of your heroes right there in front of you,and the chances are that they are soloing their nuts off (that's metal-speak btw) while gurning for California!

Respect is due to them also because no corners have been cut with their set-up:the sound was loud enough but clear and their lighting and pyros and big,bouncy Metalliballs all worked great!
Irony time:the band give you the option of downloading a recording of the show that you attended for a measly Ā£5.They've seen the light!

This may take a while...

Cheers,

Si.

Re: O/T Metallica,MEN Arena,Manchester,Thursday 26th February 2009
Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 27, 2009 12:02

Excellent pics !
Thanks for sharing
Glad you had a great time

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 27, 2009 12:25

thamks Si - great photos
appreciate the review -
not a fan of them myself, but at least they appreciate they're fanbase.

much respect, for that.

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: February 27, 2009 17:23

Nice pics Simon. As always.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: February 27, 2009 17:35

Simon how about the opening act, Machine Head? They are more extreme than Metallica, aren't they?

Posted by: SimonN ()
Date: February 27, 2009 18:22

Hello,

Thanks for the words,guys-I was amazed at how much I enjoyed the show.

dcba-Due to the usual traffic chaos,I didn't get to see the supports.
However,as I walked towards the arena I was able to feel and hear Machine Head.
This was from a distance of 500m!

Cheers,

Si.

Posted by: Tornandfrayed ()
Date: February 27, 2009 21:36

Glad you had a great time. Nice pics and an interesting stage setup which reminds me a bit of the StonesĀ“ lotus stage. Did Lars play on a rotating drum riser?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2390
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home