Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O.T - Happy Birthday Fats Domino
Posted by: Adrian-L ()
Date: February 26, 2009 16:00

Happy Birthday to Fats - 81 today.

let's cherish these guys... not many of them still with us.

Re: O.T - Happy Birthday Fats Domino
Posted by: Sohoe ()
Date: February 26, 2009 16:59

Happy b'day Fats! - guess it's time to dust of that box set of his and play some timeless music....

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 26, 2009 19:07

So glad I was able to see him perform at the New Orleans Jazz Festival a few years back.

Happy Birthday Fats!!!

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: February 26, 2009 20:43

Yeah - let's hear it for the Fat Man. He weighs 200 pounds! One of the all time greats.

Posted by: Edith Grove ()
Date: February 27, 2009 04:44

Thanks for reminding us, Adrian-L !

Since the location of Fats' house is common knowledge, at least among music lovers in New Orleans, I thought I would post a pic of it here.

This pic was taken after Katrina. You can see the rescue workers' markings in the in the center of the house.
Nice of them to paint the markings on the brick facade rather than the wood door! thumbs down

This home is located in the now-famous, thanks to Katrina, Lower Ninth Ward of New Orleans.
This is mostly a lower-income, working class neighborhood and, I believe, Fats has lived in this neighborhood most of his life.
I am thinking this home probably took on about three to four meters of water during the hurricane.
After the storm, Fats moved to a gated, and I assume more upscale community in the New Orleans area.

I do not know Fats personally, but it is my understanding that Fats has lived his life very grounded to his roots in New Orleans.
He very rarely travels far from home, and did not even want to leave for the hurricane.
Very many of the "old New Orleans people" are like that, and Fats is a great example.
I think it is safe to assume Fats had the means to evacuate, but he chose to stay at home, with his wife, in his neighborhood.
A former co-worker of mine who lived not far from Fats, "old New Orleans people," a husband & wife enjoying their retirement years and also could have evacuated, sadly did not make it out of their neighborhood.

One final story about Fats:
A local TV reporter, Bill Elder, was granted an interview with Fats several years ago.
Mr. Elder showed up at the home pictured above, and Fats was absolutely amazed that a TV reporter would come out to his house to interview him.
Fats was so excited over this that he insisted Mr. Elder take a walk around the neighborhood and meet Fats' friends.
Poor Mr. Elder never got the interview he wanted because they spent the entire time walking the neighborhood and chit-chatting with Fats' neighbors!

True story.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: February 27, 2009 05:29

A great read Edith Grove, a shy, humble man who never forgot where he came from. I flew in that year to Mobile, Alabama and drove over to New Orleans with seeing Fats as my number one priority. Ray Charles also played that afternoon and I was thrilled to see him as well.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: February 27, 2009 05:48

Lots of love to Fats...one of the kings of piano not to mention his vocal chords.

Posted by: wantedman09 ()
Date: February 27, 2009 09:33

God Bless Antoine Dominique "Fats" Domino.
Happy 81st!!!!

Posted by: timbernardis ()
Date: February 27, 2009 09:39

does he tour the US or mostly just play at or close 2 home?

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: February 27, 2009 09:52

81 ... WOW ... congratulations

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: February 27, 2009 12:28

timbernardis
does he tour the US or mostly just play at or close 2 home?

Mostly close to home, and even very rarely at that.

A few years ago he was a recipient of a Kennedy Center Honor, and he refused to travel to Washington even for that.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 27, 2009 13:33

He must be in his 80's by now?

Gowd bless the Fat Man.

I just bought 1st pressing of I've been around/Be my guest!

I'll give it a whirl in his honour.....

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: February 27, 2009 19:29

Recent photo on his site....
Fats Domino

Date: February 27, 2009 19:59

Can't beat the Fat Man - in my opinion, he doesn't get the credit he deserves. He ought to be mentioned in the same sentence as Elvis, Chuck, The Beauty & The Killer (Bo Diddley deserves to be in there as well).

I'm gonna go listen to the Imperial set...

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: February 27, 2009 23:34

I love Fats! He really is the gravy on the biscuits!

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: February 27, 2009 23:42

The Ghost Of Good taste
Can't beat the Fat Man - in my opinion, he doesn't get the credit he deserves. He ought to be mentioned in the same sentence as Elvis, Chuck, The Beauty & The Killer (Bo Diddley deserves to be in there as well).

I'm gonna go listen to the Imperial set...

I'll second that!

CBII

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 28, 2009 00:50

Yeah candles have cooooooled by now but 'appy Berfday Fats...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: slew ()
Date: February 28, 2009 02:34

Happy B-day Fats. I never got to see Fats. He was supposed to be at a 50's festival I went to back in the late eighties and it was about 100 degrees and he has heart problems so he could not perform. Too bad I wanted to see him sing Walkin' to New Orleans one of my all-time favorite tunes.

Date: February 28, 2009 02:41

Here 'ya go, slew:

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1589
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home