Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: The Who Sell Out (Deluxe Reissue)
Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 23, 2009 14:54

This should be out in March/April. Well worth getting.

Details of the forthcoming Who 'Sell Out' reissue:

Originally released in December 1967, The Who Sell Out arrived at the tail end of a remarkable year in popular culture. As well as being forever immortalised as the moment when the counterculture and the Love Generation went global, 1967 produced tremendous musical upheavals as “pop” metamorphosed to “rock”, elevating the likes of Cream, the Jimi Hendrix Experience, Pink Floyd, Traffic and the West Coast groups to prominence - both on the underground scene and the commercial arena.

The homage to pop-art is evident in both the advertising jingles and the iconic sleeve design - created by David King (art director at the Sunday Times) and Roger Law (who invented Spitting Image) producing four giant images for each band member – Odorono deodorant, Medac spot cream, Charles Atlas and Heinz baked beans! Stunning reissue of the classic Who album from 1967, now upgraded to a greatly expanded 2-CD version in the acclaimed Deluxe edition range, remastered from the original stereo and mono masters for the first time.

This is the first official re-release of the mono mix (in the US and UK) since 1967 and comes with eleven previously unreleased songs and/or mixes. The 28-page booklet contains unseen photos and 1960s period advertisements. CD sleeve features out-takes from the original October 1967 album cover photo session by David Montgomery.

The initial quantities include limited edition replica of Osiris Visions poster that was packaged only with the original first pressing of album. Introductory essay by noted rock writer Dave Marsh and in-depth liner notes by Who biographer Andy Neill.

Disc 1
1. Armenia City In The Sky Incl. Two “Radio London” Jingles
2. Heinz Baked Beans Incl. “More Music” Jingle
3. Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand Acoustic/Incl. Premier Drums Commercial/Radio London Jingle
4. Odorono Incl. Radio London ‘Smooth Sailing’ Jingle
5. Tattoo Incl. ‘Church Of Your Choice’ Radio London Jingle
6. Our Love Was Incl. Pussycat/Speakeasy/Rotosound Jingles,Commercials
7. I Can See For Miles
8. I Can’t Reach You Incl. Charles Atlas Commercial
9. Medac a.k.a. Spotted Henry
10. Relax
11. Silas Stingy
12. Sunrise
13. Real (1 & 2)
14. Rael - Naive Incl. John Mason’s Cars (Rehearsal) Commercial
15. Someone’s Coming Incl. Radio London ‘Weather Word’ Jingle
16. Early Morning Cold Taxi incl. Radio London News Bulletin Jingle
17. Jaguar incl. Extra Wonderful Radio London Jingle
18. Coke After Coke
19. Glittering Girl
20. Summertime Blues Previously Unreleased
21. John Mason Cars
22. Girl’s Eyes Incl. Bag O’ Nails Jingle
23. Sodding About Previously Unreleased
24. Premier Drums Full Version Previously Unreleased
25. Odorono Final Chorus
26. Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand Mirasound Version
27. Things Go Better With Coke
28. In The Hall Of The Mountain King
29. Top Gear
30. Rael (1 & 2) Remake Version - Incl. Track Records Jingle

Disc 2
1. Armenia City In The Sky
2. Heinz Baked Beans
3. Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand Mono Version
4. Odorono Original Version
5. Tattoo
6. Our Love Was
7. I Can See For Miles
8. I Can’t Reach You
9. Medac a.k.a. Spotted Henry (mono)
10. Relax (mono)
11. Silas Stingy (mono)
12. Sunrise (mono)
13. Rael (1 & 2) Incl. Track Records Run-Off Groove
14. Mary Anne With The Shaky Hand U.S Single Version originally released as US B-side to `I Can See For Miles’
15. Someone’s Coming U.K Single Mix - Originally released as US B-side to `I Can See For Miles’
16. Relax Early Rehearsal
17. Jaguar Original Mono Mix
18. Glittering Girl Previously Unreleased Version
19. Tattoo Early Mono Mix
20. Our Love Was Take 12 Rejected Mono Mix
21. Rotosound Strings With Final Note
22. I Can See For Miles Early Mono Mix
23. Rael Early Mono Mix
24. Armenia City In The Sky Isolated Backwards Tracks
25. Great Shakes Unreleased US Radio Commerical

Re: OT: The Who Sell Out (Deluxe Reissue)
Posted by: cc ()
Date: January 23, 2009 16:25

hmm, I don't know--the 1-disc expanded version was plenty for me. I already feel like I'm listening to scraps there.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: January 23, 2009 16:27

Yeah, pretty weak album imo, a forced album put out due to pressure from Chris Stamp etc no?

Posted by: Duane in Houston ()
Date: January 23, 2009 18:06

Yeah, not a great record to begin with.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 23, 2009 18:39

Should be interesting.
It sounds like it's an expanded version
of one that came out about 10 years ago.
That's my favorite Who album. A terrific record.

Posted by: ablett ()
Date: January 23, 2009 18:59

"Yeah, not a great record to begin with."

Compared to what? Between the Buttons?

Posted by: Han ()
Date: January 23, 2009 19:30

Duane in Houston

Finest concept album Townshend ever wrote.

You might have to scrape me off the floor at the end of the tour, but it'll be really good scrapings. - Mick Jagger

Posted by: Nikolai ()
Date: January 23, 2009 19:31

Duane in Houston

The Who Sell Out is superb. It's just completely overlooked because it was a). a flop when first released and b). The One They Did Before Tommy. It's Townshend's first attempt at a conceptual album (it was a satire on consumerism, and a nod to pirate radio). It doesn't quite hang together as a concept, but the songs are all superb.

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 23, 2009 20:05

a truly superb album imo...the ooh were still a cult act in the states and not a big selling one up until tommy, which also took most of a year to start to spread out toward massive toppermost success sucess cuckessss duz it matter? uh uhhh.

our love was, is...so very much of that album, in addition to the obvious power of 'i can see for miles' is brilliant imo. wry, hot, well written, superbly performed..a unique and original band with a very smart, hip vibe...this album was an invitation into the madness and sweetness and sharpness and originality of the band's power imo...i had bought the previous 'the who...my generation' and 'happy jack' and was into them early but not my friends at the time for some reason...they kinda broke slowww in the states...even tho 'my generation' was a hit, as was 'magic bus'...

love that album to this day...the deluxe thing is not interesting to me; it seems like too much of a glut; even if some of the new quantity is quality; the album was designed for the length of the album it was released upon...kinda felt the same way about the live at leeds deluxe thing...one more time someone is painting over picasso. offering 'special value' (AND an extra CD to pay for!) with all that stuff...for a historian or completist already in touch with the single releases i can see this be fascinating...but as an improvement upon the original release, i do not think so...imo this is album was/is a brilliant brilliant work, as conceived, written and released.

Posted by: Dark Horse 77 ()
Date: January 24, 2009 00:09

Love it!

Posted by: Beelyboy ()
Date: January 24, 2009 01:00

ablett
"Yeah, not a great record to begin with."

Compared to what? Between the Buttons?

gosh i thought between the buttons was a great album too; one of my all time faves as a matter of fact...my obsession, all sold out, amanda jones etc...what a groove...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-24 01:00 by Beelyboy.

Date: January 24, 2009 01:35

I like the basic album (Sell Out), but I just think the one disc was enough. I just don't need to hear more things like "The Making of... Mingy Stingy," or stuff even closer to the scrap heap.

no, the album proper is great, especially for what is clearly still a low-budget enterprise. The concept material sounds dated now, but the songs are fresh, almost in a Revolver vs. Sgt. Pepper way. HM, it really has that sense of innocence you mentioned the Stones having through around Beggars Banquet.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 24, 2009 05:20

Not a great album? What you smokin' boys!!!!????
This is the first great Who album, and a masterful melding of commentary, power pop, heavy licks and a true concept linked..
IN fact I think this is where Townshend figured out he had to break out of rehashing r and b, and start to really put his own stamp on his style and writing.
Truly sublime stuff... I Can See For Miles is just incredible! Intense power riffs, great harmonies, and Moon's drumming is on fire. Our Love Was is beautiful! Townshend sounds full of sun and joy. Tattoo, what a great sly take on the oedipal relationship, and what it is to be a man. Soaring harmonies, and some great guitar. Armenia City in the Sky is their melding of power pop, psychedelia and odd Who'isms.

Yeah this is the first real Who statement of force and consistency. One of my favs!

Date: January 24, 2009 07:21

not a great album??? this is considered one of the best who albums of the 60's. i have the 1 disc expanded version. thats enough for me

Date: January 24, 2009 09:44

I think the next one was the rushed one--called Magic Bus in the US, something different in the UK?

Posted by: GuessWho ()
Date: January 24, 2009 12:08

Magic Bus (The Who On Tour) was a dodgy compilation of previously released studio material....mainly album tracks and b-sides.

Not released in the UK where the much superior Direct Hits was issued featuring the great lost Who single "Dogs"

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 24, 2009 12:59

Who Sell Out is not a favourite of mine. My Generation and a Quick One are both superior imo - especially the former.

Although I have to admit: the only Who LP I consider to be a masterpiece is Who's Next.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 24, 2009 14:42

There is a species of Who fan, Dave Marsh and a number of other rock journalists among them, who think this is the ultimate Who album, and that it was all pretty much downhill after '67. I never understood that. I've never understood why some Who fans are particulary obsessed with this album. To my ears, it's a lot of filler, wrapped around ONE fantastic track. And even on that one, the bass is barely audible.

Entwistle's Revenge: When the Who performed I Can See For Miles on the BBC, they mimed to the studio track, Except John, who played LIVE, rumbling like a freight train all over the studio recording. Though not available here, that version IS available on the seven-track bonus disc that came packaged with early pressings of the Who's BBC Sessions CD released in 2000. THAT'S how it SHOULD have sounded.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: January 24, 2009 15:34

I think many prefer the Mod-era Who. The Who Sell Out is kind of the end of that particular period for the group.

Date: January 24, 2009 15:47

Big Al
I think many prefer the Mod-era Who. The Who Sell Out is kind of the end of that particular period for the group.

I think in the case of people like Marsh and Jann Wenner and Robert Christgau it has more to do with how old they are and what was going on in their own lives at the time. Maybe 1967 was the best year of their lives, so they think the music they heard then MUST be the greatest music ever made. It's like eveyone has their own personal Golden Era. Sometimes I listen to Little Steven's Underground Garage. Good show, but the guy is forever stuck in the mid-60s. It's not his fault. EVERYONE his age is stuck in the mid-60s. We can't help but be a product of the times in which we live, in particular, of the times in which we THINK we were having the most fun.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 25, 2009 02:47

In my opinion The Who Sell Out is their best 60's album. And their best career album is Quadrophenia.... I hope Townshend was just doing his usual rant when he said Sell Out was the last re-release project... A deluxe Quadrophenia with out takes and a bonus live disc from that tour would be phenomenal!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2009-01-25 12:05 by whitem8.

Posted by: Angus MacBagpipe ()
Date: January 25, 2009 06:58

I discovered "The Who Sell Out" only a couple of years ago, but what a discovery. What a great album! It rates up there with "Who's Next", "Tommy", "Live at Leeds"

But I'm happy enough with my extended one disc, which to be truthful didn't need the extra bits.

Date: January 25, 2009 16:45

whitem8
In my opinion The Who Sell Out is their best 60's album. And their best career album is Quadrophenia.... I hope Townshend was just doing his usual rant when he said Sell Out was the last re-release project... A deluxe Quadrophenia with out takes and a bonus live disc from that tour would be phenomenal!

I think what he said was that it would be the last re-release project that he would personally be involved with. From now on, he will entrust others with the responsibility of supervising these releases, continuing to reward die-hard Who fans with ever more diminished returns on their loyalty.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: January 27, 2009 01:52

As much as I like The Who I don't get Sell Out?? I find it unlistenable.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1573
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home